Monday, September 20, 2021

Writing Stronger, Yet Weaker

 

Image by Unsplash (thoughtcatalog)

Have you ever had a moment of reflection that made you wonder why something has changed so drastically?  Well, I have been reflecting on how student writing has become stronger yet so much weaker.  Students are becoming better with the meat of the story, but they are struggling with the language standards.  This seems disheartening to me.  I pondered the possible reasons why this might be so.

After reflecting, I keep coming back to my lack of teaching language in isolation.  I wondered if student's writing would be better putting back my daily oral language routine. That leads me to "NoRedInk". It is a program that teaches skills in isolation.  So, I have decided to put it to the test this year. 

NoRedInk is connected with the Iowa Standards.  Is the premium version worth the money?  Will it improve student performance?  I will be looking at some different webinars within the "NoRedInk" platform and follow up with some research that will either support or debunk teaching grammar in  isolation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment