Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Morning Meeting in Preschool

Elevated view of infant school children in a circle in the classroom giving high fives to their smiling female teacher, vertical, close up. Stock Photo. Clipart.com School Edition, Vital Imagery Ltd., 01-04-2019, https://schools.clipart.com/download.php?iid=1595730&tl=photos. Accessed 29-09-2021.


 I will be focusing my ICDP for 2021-2022 on developing strong morning meetings with preschoolers. I chose to focus on this after I attended a Nevada PhD session on morning meetings that really intrigued me. I have always done calendar and good things but it never felt complete to me and after my morning meeting session, I realized I needed to add a classroom community piece that connects to social emotional learning. As a building, we have a goal to incorporate more social emotional learning throughout a student’s day and this is an excellent way to do just that.  Adding a morning meeting will help my students feel connected to each other as a classroom family and build social emotional and academic learning.

I would see implementing morning meetings more of an area of growth rather than an area of concern for me. I want to grow my student’s relational capacity and understanding with their peers as well as merging social emotional skills and academic learning. I will read The Morning Meeting Book by Roxann Kriete & Carol Davis as well as reading blogs or social media posts that gather ideas to strengthen morning meetings.  

I will use my Teaching Strategies GOLD data from Fall, Winter, and Spring to see the growth in my students. The areas in GOLD I will mainly focus on is social-emotional, language, and cognitive. I will know I have improved in creating strong morning meetings is the growth I will see in GOLD by increasing over the color bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment