Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Mindfulness and Zones of Regulation

 Why do you want to focus on this area for your ICDP?

It seems in past years we have focused more on academics and how to teach reading with best practice. Our school has really focused lately on mindfulness and in order to be effective with mindfulness I wanted to start with myself and learn some skills to practice. I am hoping that these skills will be helpful personally and professionally. 

What are you wanting to change about your practice and how will that impact student learning?

I want to be able to help students stay in the green zone of the Zones of Regulation. I also want to have some skills to fall back on when I am feeling overwhelmed and dysregulated.

What school/class data shows this is an area of concern for you?

Our school has used SABRS in the past but has moved to DESSA to collect SEL data on students. Last year was a difficult year for students and teachers and teaching, in general, has become more challenging.

What do you see as your topic for research?

The topic for my research will be "mindfulness" with a large part of my focus on the book, Mindfulness for Teachers by Patricia A. Jennings.

How will this topic enhance and support student learning?

I am hoping to learn strategies to keep myself in the 'green zone' on the 'Zones of Regulation' chart. As I learn strategies, I will share with students when they are dysregulated. This will help students their whole life, personally and academically, as they learn to regulate themselves.

Where will you look for resources on this topic?

Meg Friederes, Emily Kruse, Erin Murphy and the book, Mindfulness for Teachers by Patricia A. Jennings. Zones of Regulation Chart, Randi Davis, classroom yoga cards, Kristi Kenealy

How will you know you improved in this area? What evidence will you have?

When I am able to regulate myself when I am overwhelmed and stressed, and when I am able to help students regulate when they are dysregulated. 

1 comment:

  1. YES! What we are teaching students about the Zones of Regulation are also good for us as adults!

    ReplyDelete