Monday, September 27, 2021

Number Sense in Preschool

 

Two Elementary Pupils Counting Together In Classroom. Stock Photo. Clipart.com School Edition, Vital Imagery Ltd., 18-10-2013, https://schools.clipart.com/download.php?iid=664642&tl=photos. Accessed 27-09-2021.

I chose to learn more about Number Sense Routines. I attended the Math Talks presented by Kedra Hamilton during our NevadaPHD this fall. I was excited to learn more about how to include more math learning into the student's day. I was intrigued by the idea of listening to the students to see how they processed numbers. I talked with Kedra, and have several books, websites and have signed up to take a Webinar to learn more about this process. As a team, the preschool teachers have and do focus on literacy. I know I don't give math the same emphasis as I do literacy, so I thought that I should pursue a math topic. 

After watching videos and doing some reading I thought I'd just try one learning experiment with my classes. I decided to focus on same and different. I used two sets of apples pictures, since we are currently studying apples. My AM class had no idea about same and different. I had to teach and show them the similarities and differences. The PM class was lead by one student who understood the idea of same and different. She lead the class in explaining/teaching. In my discussion with Kristi, I was encouraged to go a step lower to make it one step easier in the process. The I do, we do, you do process. She observed that many students are not able to have a conversation if they haven't been part of them at home. So working on simple conversations is my starting point!

No comments:

Post a Comment