Monday, September 20, 2021

Formative Assessments Aligning with Summative Assessments

Algebra equations. Stock Photo. Clipart.com School Edition, Vital Imagery Ltd., 05-02-2020, https://schools.clipart.com/download.php?iid=1828578&tl=photos. Accessed 20-09-2021.


 My ICDP goal this year is to work on improving formative assessments to align with my summative assessments.  Over the last few months, we have worked on creating power standards in the math department to really focus on what our students need to know in each class.  I am confident with the summative assessments I have created and have those leveled.  I am focusing on creating more formative assessments to help the students get feedback along the way as they work towards demonstrating understanding of the material.  Formative assessment is so important in so many ways, but especially in a math class, as many of the math topics build on each other.  

 

Another part of my goal as I work on formative assessment is to help students learn the purpose behind formative assessment, as well as how to take the feedback from a formative assessment in use it to seek out help, find additional resources and process what things they are already good at and where they can improve.  One strategy that I have tried already includes talking about how if a team misses free throws in a game, they are most likely going to work on free throws at practice the next day.  One struggle that I think students are having, based on results that I have seen so far, is taking the formative assessment and using it to get better.

 

I have done a little bit of work with formative assessment, so far, including using Google Forms (as a quiz, with immediate feedback), tickets in/out the door, and student use of JamBoard while solving problems.  I will continue to use the resources, but am also hoping that through my research and continued coaching conversations and work with staff that I will discover some additional ways to help meet students needs and help empower them to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment