Monday, September 27, 2021

All Hands On Deck for Reading

 

Image from Unsplash (gaellemarcel)

Last year we were told, "It's all hands on deck to improve reading performance at NMS."  This year we were told the same thing.  Since my ICDP last year was centered around creating a canvas course, I've decided to focus on improving student fluency and comprehension.  

Starting in October and continuing to the ISASP tests, I will do one reading lesson a month with all my classes using fluency routines, predicting, clarifying, questioning, and summarizing.  Last year I got a lot of push back from students when doing this (But it's PE!!!!!!!!).  A secondary goal besides improving student performance in the area of reading comprehension would be for lessons like this to be more accepted as common practice in areas besides reading/language arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment