Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Self-Care

 This year I am going to focus on self care. I attended Kody Asmus and Meg Frieders sessions during Nevada PhD and found that self care is a missing piece for me, especially now with a little one at home. While attending Emily Kruse's session I learned that adult self care is even part of the SEL standards for the state. 

Last year self care was not a priority for me and I often felt frazzled and overwhelmed with the demands of my career. I did not give the extra time or effort to my students that I might have in the past. Personal factors such as having a baby and dealing with my father's cancer diagnosis was, of course, a big part of this but I suspect that if I gave myself the care I needed there would be more to go around to not just my students but also my family. 

I plan to read the book Heart! by Timothy Kanold. I have heard him speak on this topic a few years ago at a PLC training and feel this book will give me good information. I also plan to look into the resources Kody listed. I believe exercise will be a place for me to start to get back to walking 10 minutes a day at lunch time as well as develop my own yoga practice. In years past yoga my practice has been spotty but I fully believe in it. Through training and practice with kids I see how powerful it is. 

I will reflect back on the year and collect perception data on this goal as well as look at how many times per week I actually have been practicing mindfulness. While this might not have a direct link to student data, the health and mental well being of adults around them plays a part in their own development of social-emotional learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment