Monday, September 20, 2021

Participation and Engagement

 

Teacher studying school books in class with high school kids. Stock Photo. Clipart.com School Edition, Vital Imagery Ltd., 01-03-2019, https://schools.clipart.com/download.php?iid=1585346&tl=photos. Accessed 20-09-2021.

My plan for the year is to improve student participation and engagement in my classroom.  Two years ago Meg read the book Total Participation Techniques and asked me to do a coaching conversation with her on how she was going to implement some of the strategies in her classroom.  I found our conversation to be very interesting and decided to read the book myself.  My plan was that this would be my ICDP last year, but Covid and Canvas took more of my attention and focus, which was necessary for the time.

 

I believe many of the strategies in the book will pair nicely with formative assessment, which is a piece of our building goal this year.  By having more students fully engaged in the task, I will (should!) be better able to assess who is understanding the information and who is confused. If I can successfully redirect and reteach in the moment, ideally more students will understand the information and be able to pass standard assessments the first time, which will lead to less need to reassess.  I don't have good hard data from the past on reassessment.  I could try to dig in and find what we were working on before we ended 2020 with Covid.  For sure, I can compare first semester to second since all of my classes repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment